Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Kathy at allrecipes.com. Not crunchy like the originals, but boy, are they good! DON'T make them too big, or they get unwieldy.
- 2 (18 1/4 ounce) boxes devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set oven racks for upper third and middle third of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Combine all cookie ingredients and mix well. Batter will be thick.
- Roll dough into balls the size of nickels; you should have 48 balls. Place on two greased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, switching sheets up for down, and rotating back to front, halfway through.
- Cool on cookie sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks until completely cool.
- Meanwhile, beat together all filling ingredients. If using a stand or hand mixer, start VERY slowly, or sugar will spray all over the room! When blended, transfer to a gallon-size ziptop bag and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- When cookies are cool and filling has set up slightly, cut off a corner of the ziptop bag and, using it like a pastry bag, pipe filling onto the bottoms of half of the cookies. Stick bottom-to-bottom with another, unfrosted cookie.