Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
A lower fat, vegetarian version of the traditional Greek/Turkish beef and eggplant dish.
- 1 1⁄4 cups lentils
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped into half inch cubes
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large eggplant, chopped into half inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 8 ounces light cream cheese (Neufchatel cheese)
- 2 large eggs
- Combine lentils, potatoes, broth, and garlic, and spices in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Top with eggplant and carrots.
- Cook for 6 hours on low setting or 3 hours on high setting.
- Soften cream cheese and blend with eggs until fully combined.
- Add tomatoes and cream cheese mixture to slow cooker and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice pilaf and tzatziki.
Easy and delicious. I used a can of regular tomatoes plus a tablespoon of Italian seasoning. I added the tomatoes at the beginning instead of with the egg and cream cheese, but it still turned out great.