Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This oven-prepared "fried" eggplant will be very crisp like typical fried version, but much healthier! Serve with pasta and marinara.
- 1 eggplant
- olive oil
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup dry parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs or 3 egg whites
- marinara sauce
- provolone cheese
- Peel eggplant, if desired.
- SLice lengthwise or crosswise, about 1/4" thick.
- Salt heavily and allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Rinse well several times and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Lightly brush cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Mix bread crumbs and parmesan.
- Dip eggplant slices first in egg then in crumbs, coating well.
- Plce on prepared cookie sheet, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, turn, and bake 15 minutes longer or until brown.
- Spoon a dab of marinara sauce and a bit of provolone cheese on each slice.
- Return to oven to melt cheese.
Wow! It is crisper than if you fried it and it is tender and moist in the middle! Wonderful flavor. I didn't use the marinara sauce but did put cheese on top. This is scrumptious! I will be saving this recipe to make over and over again! Thanks!
Thanks for posting this delicious easy and more figure friendly version.
this is really great! fyi, i am NOT a fan of eggplant, but i love this recipe and plan to make it again later this week.. isn't that surprising? :D thanks a lot for the AMAZING recipe, Susan Lee!