Recipe by Susan Lee
This oven-prepared "fried" eggplant will be very crisp like typical fried version, but much healthier! Serve with pasta and marinara.
Top Review by M2050b Bailey
Wow! It is crisper than if you fried it and it is tender and moist in the middle! Wonderful flavor. I didn't use the marinara sauce but did put cheese on top. This is scrumptious! I will be saving this recipe to make over and over again! Thanks!
- 1 eggplant
- olive oil
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup dry parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs or 3 egg whites
- marinara sauce
- provolone cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant, if desired.
- SLice lengthwise or crosswise, about 1/4" thick.
- Salt heavily and allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Rinse well several times and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Lightly brush cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Mix bread crumbs and parmesan.
- Dip eggplant slices first in egg then in crumbs, coating well.
- Plce on prepared cookie sheet, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, turn, and bake 15 minutes longer or until brown.
- Spoon a dab of marinara sauce and a bit of provolone cheese on each slice.
- Return to oven to melt cheese.