Recipe by Sharon123
These vegan fish patties are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and tasty. Only 4 grams of fat per patty! Eat them on a bun with creamy tartar sauce.One reviewer said" Instead of the egg replacer, I used ground flax seed. I ground up a tablespoon of flaxseed right before it was time to add it. Then I immediately added 2-3 tablespoons of hot boiled water. I stirred until it was a egg like consistancy them added it the my faux fish mixture. It held together very well." Or use Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer following directions on the back of the package. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 0.5 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu (squeeze out excess water well and crumble up)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon grated celery (measured after water has been squeezed out, see directions)
- 1 tablespoon red onion (measured after water has been squeezed out, see directions)
- 2⁄3 cup grated potato (measured after water has been squeezed out, see directions)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (or 1 1/2 Teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 egg substitute (see recipe description)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place old fashioned oats into food processor or blender and pulse a few times to chop finer. Pour into mixing bowl.
- Place the 3 slices of bread in food processor or blender and chop into bread crumbs. Measure out 1/4 cup and put into mixing bowl.
- For the celery, red onion and potato take special care to squeeze out the juices with a strainer after they have been grated. The pulp can become quite wet and cause the patties to become too moist. After you have the juice out, then measure.
- Into mixing bowl throw in; nutritional yeast, tofu, garlic salt, celery, red onion, dijon mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, old bay seasoning, agave, potato, flour, salt, wheat germ and egg replacer and mash together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet and hands with cooking spray and measure out 5 - 1/3 cup portions. Lay them on cookie sheet and shape into squares about 3/4 inches thick. Brush top side with melted butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Carefully turn over with a spatula and do the same on the other side. Place into oven and bake 15 minutes. Then flip and bake 15 more minutes. Let set for 5 minutes after out of the oven.