Recipe by Chef Kate
Before all the anchovy-phobes dismiss this, I promise, the anchovy flavor is wonderful in this and not overpowering at all. Another Gascon recipe, this steak dish is elegant and rich and satisfying. Add some steamed potatoes and mushrooms and a frisee salad--a great meal!
- 2 (2 ounce) cans anchovies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 3 (12 -14 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, at least 1/2-inch thick, 12 to 14 ounces each, at room temperature
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 lbs broccoli, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the anchovies from the cans and drain well; rinse under cold running water and pat dry.
- Place the anchovies and the butter in a food processor or a blender and process, or mix with an immersion blender in a bowl until the anchovy butter is smooth.
- Set aside.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a steamer, place the broccoli in the top of the steamer and steam 3 to 6 minutes or until done to your taste.
- Remove from steamer and keep warm.
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat.
- When the pan is very hot, saute the steaks about one minute one each side--the meat should be seared on the outside, raw on the inside.
- Place the steaks on a sheet pan and coat the steaks with 2/3 of the anchovy butter.
- Broil for three minutes without turning for medium rare, longer if you prefer.
- Place the steaks on a warm platter and cover.
- Place the sheet pan across two burners and, over medium high heat, melt the remaining butter, stirring and scraping to get all the fond from the pan.
- Cut the steaks into thin slices.
- Add the juice from the steaks to the butter.
- Spoon half half the butter mixture over the sliced steak and toss the broccoli in the remaining butter.
- Serve immediately.