Recipe by MNLisaB
This is my quick version of chicken pho, which is a fragrant, hearty Vietnamese inspired soup that can be eaten any time of the year. The broth is made fragrant with spices, ginger, garlic and veggies, which you can choose to keep, or toss. The spices/ginger/garlic can be contained in cheesecloth, or a tea infuser. This can be made low carb by omitting the noodles.
Top Review by mclark
YUM! This was absolutely delicious. My whole family loved it. I used only chicken, because I didn't have any shrimp, and I put a 3rd piece of star anise in because we love the broth really flavorful. Thank you for a great recipe!
- 2365.9 ml chicken broth
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 35.43 g fresh ginger, 4 1/2 inch thick slices
- 29.58 ml nam pla (fish sauce)
- 3 clove garlic, halved
- 2 star anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 large boneless chicken breast, trimmed
- 226.79 g fresh bean sprouts
- 12 baby carrots, sliced in thirds
- 226.79 g cellophane noodles or 226.79 g bean thread noodles, pre cut
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 226.79 g shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- lime wedge
- 118.29 ml cilantro leaf
- 118.29 ml fresh mint leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of water to boil, then remove from heat.
- Add noodles to the pot; let stand until tender, about 15 minutes, then drain and set aside in a large serving bowl.
- Combine chicken broth, onion slices, fish sauce, sliced baby carrots and chicken in a soup pot; bring to a simmer.
- In a cheesecloth or tea infuser, add the whole cloves, sliced ginger, garlic, star anise and place in the soup pot with the chicken.
- Simmer the chicken, vegetables and spice mixture for about 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken and cool it until you can cut into cubes; place back into the simmering soup pot.
- Remove the cheesecloth or tea infuser, discard ingredients inside.
- Add bean sprouts and shrimp and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into the large serving bowl with the noodles.
- Add the green onions, cilantro and mint leaves to the serving bowl.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges.