1/2 Photos of Faux Chicken and Shrimp Pho
This is my quick version of chicken pho, which is a fragrant, hearty Vietnamese inspired soup that can be eaten any time of the year. The broth is made fragrant with spices, ginger, garlic and veggies, which you can choose to keep, or toss. The spices/ginger/garlic can be contained in cheesecloth, or a tea infuser. This can be made low carb by omitting the noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 ounces fresh ginger, 4 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons nam pla (fish sauce)
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 star anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 large boneless chicken breast, trimmed
- 8 ounces fresh bean sprouts
- 12 baby carrots, sliced in thirds
- 8 ounces cellophane noodles or 8 ounces bean thread noodles, pre cut
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 lb shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- lime wedge
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1Bring large pot of water to boil, then remove from heat.
- 2Add noodles to the pot; let stand until tender, about 15 minutes, then drain and set aside in a large serving bowl.
- 3Combine chicken broth, onion slices, fish sauce, sliced baby carrots and chicken in a soup pot; bring to a simmer.
- 4In a cheesecloth or tea infuser, add the whole cloves, sliced ginger, garlic, star anise and place in the soup pot with the chicken.
- 5Simmer the chicken, vegetables and spice mixture for about 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- 6Remove chicken and cool it until you can cut into cubes; place back into the simmering soup pot.
- 7Remove the cheesecloth or tea infuser, discard ingredients inside.
- 8Add bean sprouts and shrimp and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- 9Ladle the soup into the large serving bowl with the noodles.
- 10Add the green onions, cilantro and mint leaves to the serving bowl.
- 11Serve with fresh lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Faux Chicken and Shrimp Pho
Serving Size: 1 (621 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.4
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.0 mg
- Sodium 1979.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: