Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The History of the Faux Burger: I accidentally made Beef flavored tofu, but without the allspice, and with glutenous soy sauce. I bought 4 peppercorn spice for my dad, and couldn't find the allspice free version. My salmon had a beefy flavor to it. So...I thought I'd try a Faux Beef tofu, and try to remember what I did before. Since then, I found out I had to go gluten free. Thus, we have this version GF version. Note: I use Bragg's Liquid Amino ® because they are Gluten Free and they give us the flavor we want. Generic GF Soy Sauce will not work, as they don't have much flavor. Chili Powder is a Nightshade, and is optional but I can't indicate that here. Tellicherry Black Pepper started out Sweet, and then has a kick to it. Its very different from the other Black Pepper, which is not sweet, but has a kick to it. The trick to these burgers is to form the patties well by pressing them into your hand without being dainty. This recipe contains Soy, Nightshades (optional), Seeds. DF, EF, GF, CornF, PF, TNF,
- 1 (12 ounce) package tofu, drained well
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce, Bragg's Liquid Amino
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, Tellicherry, fresh grounded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, Kosher
- olive oil, for frying
- Drain the Tofu well and break up into little pieces in to a medium sized bowl.
- In a dry frying pan, roast the Allspice, Cumin, Coriander, Cloves, Chili Powder and Tellicherry Black Pepper until fragrant.
- Whisk the Flax Seed and the warm water together to make a paste.
- Add the roasted spices, the Sweet Basil, Salt and the Flax Seed paste to the Tofu.
- Mix very well, breaking up the tofu into a fine grain.
- Form into patties by pressing them very well to squeeze the tofu together.
- Fry in Olive Oil set to Medium - High heat.
- This can be served with your favorite sandwich fixings, or with any dish .