Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This salad can get soggy about 45 minutes after its made, so make it right before you plan to eat. Recipe from King Arthur Flour baking circle. I just use store-bought pita bread, but make your own if you have a good recipe.
- 3 medium pita breads
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb tomatoes
- 3 ounces romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled,seeded and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped (including about half of the green part)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dried mint or 4 -6 tablespoons of fresh mint, snipped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Split the pita breads into rounds and cut each round into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet, and spray it with garlic-flavored olive oil spray.
- If you don't have any garlic-flavored spray, spray with olive oil spray (or drizzle with olive oil), and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Bake the bread in a preheated oven for 12 minutes, turning once, till it's completely dry and crisp.
- Set it aside to cool.
- About 10 minutes before you're ready to serve the salad, place the bread in a large bowl, and add the remaining ingredients.
- Toss to combine and serve within 15 minutes or so.
Very nice fatoush, alijen. I used part romaine, and part herb salad. I brushed the pita with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt. Took less time to crisp for me, about 8 min (although maybe that's because I had only 2 rounds crisping rather than 3). Omitted the garlic from the bread this time around, although that'd be lovely I'm sure. Went well with marinated grilled steak. Thanks for posting!
This is a wonder 5 star recipe for fatoosh...Very tratditional. The pita bread is traditionally baked or fried, which I prefer the baked method. Never microwaved. Sumac can even be added to give it color and a bit of tartness...Thanks for the recipe.
here is a quick way of cooking the bread 0ne minuet in microwave on high per slice