Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great Middle Eastern salad to go with kebabs, and other favorite dishes such as stews, etc. The pomegranate has a lovely tart flavor, and has long been a favorite of mine.
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small cucumbers, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 -2 hot pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mint leaf
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and finely chopped peel of
- 2 pita breads, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, split
- 1 pomegranate
- salt (to taste)
- Mix together the tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, peppers, and mint together in a salad bowl.
- Add the lemon peel and lemon juice and toss well; add the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Split the toasted pitas, and rub the rough sides with the garlic; tear the pita into small pieces and add to the salad.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate, (being careful not to stain your clothing with the juice) and add to the salad and discard the peel and the pith.
- Toss the salad well, and serve immediately.
Usually, no hot pepper! Fresh mint leaves can be added, alongside a tablespoon of simac!