Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great way to use up that left over pita bread. Wonderful served along with grilled chicken kebabs. Modified recipe from Fine Cooking magazine.
- 2 large pita breads, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄3 cup chopped mint leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (coriander)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Place the pieces of pita bread on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake in the oven until they are dry (about 10 - 15 min). Let cool.
- Spread out the diced cucumber on paper toweling, and sprinkle with salt. Let stand about 15 minutes, then place in a colander and rinse the salt off. Pat dry.
- Combine the cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, bell pepper, parsley, mint, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Combine the garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl and whisk together. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and whisk again.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Toss in the pita bread pieces and serve.
I am sorry, but something about this salad was a little too overwhelming for me. Or maybe it was the combination of many overpowering ingredients... I am not sure. I guess it just confused my taste buds a little?
Love the seasonings in this and love the crunch that the oven-toasted pita adds. The ratio of lemon juice to oil was perfect for my tastes. Good show, PanNan!