Recipe by NotQuiteVegetarian
The distinguishing feature of this light, refreshing salad is the addition, just before serving, of pieces of crisply toasted flat bread. Adapted from "Complete Vegetarian Cookbook" by Charmaine Solomon.
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 5 spring onions, chopped (scallions)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large pita bread round
Directions See How It's Made
- Put diced and chopped vegetables into a bowl, cover and chill until shortly before serving time.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper and pour over the vegetables.
- Toast pita bread under the grill – it should be pale gold in colour, not brown.
- Break into large pieces and toss into salad at last minute, so it will still be crisp when eaten.