Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
The distinguishing feature of this light, refreshing salad is the addition, just before serving, of pieces of crisply toasted flat bread. Adapted from "Complete Vegetarian Cookbook" by Charmaine Solomon.
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 5 spring onions, chopped (scallions)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large pita bread round
- Put diced and chopped vegetables into a bowl, cover and chill until shortly before serving time.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper and pour over the vegetables.
- Toast pita bread under the grill – it should be pale gold in colour, not brown.
- Break into large pieces and toss into salad at last minute, so it will still be crisp when eaten.
Very nice and authentic salad. I also added some baby greens for a light lunch. Thank you.
This is great and I make it all the time, only I always add Sumac, fattoush isn't the same without it :) I add lettuce as well. Some people deep-fry the bread and I just hate it that way. Thanks for posting.