Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a Lebanese style bread salad, like the Italian panzanella salad. As expected, the Middle Eastern style to this salad used toasted pita and hummus. This quick and easy recipe can from the Student's Go Vegan Cookbook.
- 1 whole wheat pita bread
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, torn
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint or 1⁄4 cup basil, torn
- 1 cup romaine leaf, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup hummus (store bought or homemade)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- For the Dressing:.
- Add dressingingredients to a small bowl and wisk together until combined.
- For the Salad:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toast pita on baking sheet until lightly toasted, for about 10-15 minutes, turning once.
- Add all vegetables, minus the shredded romaine, and herbs to a salad bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of the dressing, or more to taste, to the salad and toss to coat.
- Break the toasted pita into bite sized pieces and add to the salad.
- Arrange the romaine lettuce on 2 serving plates and spoon cucumber mixture on top.
- Garnish each plate with a scoop of hummus.
- Drizzle with extra dressing if you like and serve.