Angela Sara's Note:
This is a much loved Syrian peasant salad in which pieces of soaked toasted bread provide an unusual texture. From my well used cookbook, A New Book of Middle Eastern Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 flat pita bread
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 large English cucumber
- 3 -4 firm tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 4 -5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Open up the pitta bread and grill until it is brown and crispy.
- 2Crunch the pitta in your hands to break it into little pieces.
- 3Put broken pieces into a bowl.
- 4Moisten and soften with a little lemon juice.
- 5Mix rest of the ingredients.
- 6Taste and adjust seasoning.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fattoush-Bread Salad
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.2
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 90.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g