Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a much loved Syrian peasant salad in which pieces of soaked toasted bread provide an unusual texture. From my well used cookbook, A New Book of Middle Eastern Food.
- 1 flat pita bread
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 large English cucumber
- 3 -4 firm tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 4 -5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Open up the pitta bread and grill until it is brown and crispy.
- Crunch the pitta in your hands to break it into little pieces.
- Put broken pieces into a bowl.
- Moisten and soften with a little lemon juice.
- Mix rest of the ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.