Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 mins
this is great with any other midlle eastern salads
- 2 (6 inch) pita bread (i use wheat as it is healthier)
- 3 tablespoons ground sumac or 2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large cucumber, cut inot small cubes
- preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- place pitas in oven and cook until lightly toasted about 4 minutes give or take a few minutes.
- break pita into small pieces.
- combine all ingedients but the letuce.
- toss to coat.
- add lettuce and toss well.
- note: sumac is available at middle eastern markets.
This is just like my mom's fatoosh except she deep fries the pita bread, then drains it on paper towels .. I love sumac and always add it to salads!! I even add it to my shawerma recipe :)
I made this as part of Worldwide Recipezaar Day. I've had fattoosh plenty of times at restaurants but never made it at home. It was so easy and delicious, I didn't change a thing except double the quantity to serve more people. Thanks, Polly, I'll be making this again!
We all loved this! I didn't have parsley so it was just left out. Made to satisfy a craving. :)