Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 min
Norwegian deep fried cookies with a slight spicy flavor. I substitute cinnamon instead of the cardamom.
- 10 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon cognac or 1 tablespoon other brandy
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- In mixer bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar for about 10 minutes or until very thick and lemon colored.
- Stir in cream, cognac, cardamom and lemon peel.
- Mix in enough flour to make a stiff dough, cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Divide dough in half and roll very thin 1/8 to 1/16 thick on well floured board.
- Cut dough into 4x2 inch diamonds, cut slit about 1 inch in center and draw long point of diamond through slit and curl back in opposite direction.
- Fry in deep fryer about 15 seconds on each side or until light brown.
- Drain and store in airtight container.
- Before serving sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- *Selfrising flour can be used in this recipe.