Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
This is from the book "When Suzanne Cooks", by Suzanne Hussseini. Submitted to Kuwait Cooking by Erika Yepes.
- 2 pieces pita bread
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 3 cups yogurt, plain full-fat
- 12 garlic cloves, mashed - 2 cloves for the yogurt sauce and 10 cloves for the chicken
- 1 whole chicken, about 1 kilogram
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 3 tablespoons butter, clarified
- 2 cups rice, shortgrained, presoaked and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, toasted
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the croutons: Split the pita breads open and cut into bite sized pieces. Fry in the 1/4 cup peanut oil until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Prepare the garlic yogurt sauce: Mix together two of the mashed garlic cloves, the plain yogurt and sea salt to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken: Rub the chicken with the remaining 10 cloves garlic - getting the garlic under the skin. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat the oil in a large pot and brown the chicken on all sides. Add the lemon juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken is falling from the bones- turning once during the cook time. Remove the skin and bones and shred the chicken back into the pot with the lemon sauce.
- Prepare the rice: Heat the clarified butter in a large sauce pan and stir in the drained rice. Add turmeric and salt, mixing well to completely coat the grains. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Let cook undisturbed until all the water is absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the garnish: Combine the 3 types of toasted nuts.
- Assemble the dish: Place the croutons on a platter. Add a layer of hot rice. Add the chicken and drizzle with lemon sauce. Drizzle the yogurt sauce over all and top with the garnish. Serve immediately.