1/2 Photos of Fats Waller Hot and Sassy Cornbread
Fats Waller was an American jazz pianist, organist, composer and comedic entertainer. Many songs he wrote or co-wrote are still popular, such as "Honeysuckle Rose", "Ain't Misbehavin'" and "Squeeze Me". 'He was known as the soul of melody....a man who made the piano sing...both big in body and in mind...known for his generosity...a bubbling bundle of joy'. Well, if he were still around, he'd write a song about this cornbread! Adpapted from The New Basics Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup corn kernel, fresh (or frozen, thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 2Butter an 8" square baking pan.
- 3Toss the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- 4In another bowl, stir the cream style corn and all the rest of the ingredients together until smooth.
- 5Add half the liquid mixture to the dry mixture, stirring just until blended. Add the remaining liquid and again stir until just blended. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- 6Bake at 400*F. until the top is golden and a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly in the pan before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
- 8For a dark, crisp crust, bake the batter in a preheated, greased cast iron skillet. Serve fresh and hot with sweet butter and honey!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fats Waller Hot and Sassy Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 56.1 mg
- Sodium 476.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 6.5 g