Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Sumac is available at middle eastern food stores. It adds a nice colour and flavour.
- 2 Greek pita breads
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce, torn in bite sized pieces
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast pita 5 to 10 minutes in preheated oven until crisp.
- Remove from oven and break into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl toss together romaine lettuce green onions cucumber and tomatoes In a small bowl mix the parsley garlic sumac powder lemon juice olive oil salt pepper and mint Just before serving add pita bread to salad ingredients.
- Pour dressing over and toss.
You can add pomegranate syrup to the dressing mix and it gives it a great kick! (minus the sumac)
We ate this for dinner tonight with Poppy's Barbecued Middle Eastern Lamb #61570. I love fatoosh, but have learned to cut back the sumac to about half for our tastes. It's really a fresh and flavorful salad that you should try, and thanks fluffy for another great recipe.
I've been meaning to try this recipe for a while now. I'm so glad I finally did. It was delicious! I reduced the oil to 2 Tbsp with no problems. Very flavorful and satisfying. My bf and I split the entire recipe for dinner. The sumac and mint are wonderful. Thanks for posting!