Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These meatballs are a family recipe, passed down from my Great Grandma. To achieve their full potential they must be simmered in your favorite sauce for as long as possible. I try to at least have them simmer for at least 4 hrs in my sauce.
- 1 lb 80% lean ground beef (10-12 meatballs)
- 3 slices white bread
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 pinch oregano
- 2 medium yellow onions
- garlic, lots (thats what the recipe says)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Put milk in shallow bowl and soak each piece of bread (both sides) until moist -- NOT soaking wet!
- Tear bread into chunks and place in large bowl.
- Add meat, Parsley, Oregano, Salt & Pepper, Bread Crumbs, Egg, Garlic and 1 Onion(diced).
- Mix Well. Form Meatballs.
- In large skillet, over medium heat begin sauteing (1) Onion (diced) and some Garlic in Oil and Butter.
- Once Heated, Brown meatballs all over.
- Add meatballs to sauce and allow to simmer a mninmum of 3-4 hours.
love it love it I made this yesterday and we ate it with some great pasta Very good and the kids ate every bite