1/2 Photos of Fatit Hummus (Chickpea Casserole)
Maya's Mama's Note:
This is a wonderful dish that my mother makes. And I can't get enough of it. It is basically pita chips soaked in chickpea broth and toped with chick peas and a very yummy yogurt sauce... even my two year old loves this dish. Chickpeas are a bit of a pain to cook from scratch... so i always make a really large batch and freeze it in it's broth... so i can put this together really easily on nights where i haven't got much time. Hope you love it as much as I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg chickpeas
- 6 pita bread (about 6-8 inches wide, the Lebanese pita would be better than the greek... but if all you have in yo)
- 709.77 ml 100% plain Greek yogurt
- 29.58 ml ground cumin (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- salt, as needed
- water (for soaking and boiling chickpeas)
- butter, as needed
- 1in the largest bowl you've got (and i really do mean large) empty the bag of chick peas.
- 2then fill up with water till the bowl is about 3/4 of the way full.
- 3let soak for at least 12h before the start of cooking. (over night is best).
- 4drain the water from the chickpeas once you are ready to start cooking.
- 5pour the chickpeas in a large stock pot.
- 6add enough water ( same amount as you would add if you were boiling pasta).
- 7boil on high, UNCOVERED.
- 8as it starts to boil it will produce this white foamy stuff -- skim the foamy stuff out of the pot as it is produced.
- 9once no more foam is being made:.
- 10reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot. add more water at this point if it is needed. also the water should always be at least an inch above the chick peas.
- 11allow to simmer for 4 hours.
- 12in the mean time you can start prepping the pita.
- 13pre heat broiler at 500°F.
- 14separate the two halves of all the pita breads.
- 15spread butter on both sides of both halves of all the pita.
- 16then stack the buttered pita on top of each other.
- 17and cut into half inch squares.
- 18place pita squares on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- 19and bake in the center of the oven, under the broiler until brown and crisp -- you will need to watch it. since each broiler is different there is no specific cooking time -- normally about 4 minutes.
- 20once all the pita chips are made place them in a 9x13 dish.
- 21now to prepare the yogurt:.
- 22in a bowl whisk together cumin, yogurt, garlic and 2 tsp salt.
- 23refrigerate till needed.
- 24once the chickpeas are done simmering:.
- 25using a ladle scoop a chick peas out and pour onto the pita chips.
- 26make sure you are also scooping out some of the broth.
- 27you will need about a 1 inch layer of chick peas.
- 28the left over chick peas and broth can be frozen and used later for the same or a different dish.
- 29allow the dish to sit for about 10 minutes so the pita has a chance to absorb the broth.
- 30pour the yogurt over the chickpeas.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fatit Hummus (Chickpea Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.5
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 614.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: