Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the meal my mom made the day before I was born, so now every year I have this on my birthday!
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
- garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 -2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green peppers or 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles and brown meat. Add the garlic to the beef and stir for a few minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix cottage and cream cheese, sour cream, pepper and onion.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a greased 13x9-inch pan, layer half the noodles, all of the cheese, the remaining noodles, the meat and end with the Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese looks perfect.
Both hubby and I enjoyed this comfort dish...I did add some additional seasoning...I threw in some dried basil and oregano...I've been looking for a recipe that I used to make years ago and lost...this came really close...thanks for posting it...=)
Delicious! We cut it into 12 servings and that serving size was plenty! We also used reduced-fat everything, where possible. This resulted in 528 calories per serving.
This was a nice casserole and one that would fit to offer at a potluck. I used radiatore pasta instead of egg noodles and added Italian seasoning to the sauce. The casserole is very cheesy and had nice mellow flavors; a classic example of comfort food. My DH loved it! My estimate on servings would be 10-12. I froze half for later. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Made for PAC Fall '07.