Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Ed asked for a side dish of scalloped potatoes for his Father's Day dinner with grilled strip steaks on the Big Green Egg. I wanted something new and different. Voila! The perfect accompaniment to grilled steak! Serve with a green salad and steamed asparagus and you've got a meal fit for the queen or the neighbors or all the Dads you know on Father's Day. I used a very nice Camenbert but you could use brie.
- 5 large red potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup camembert cheese
- 1⁄8 cup parsley, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron skillet and add the olive oil.
- Season the potato cubes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute the potatoes in the hot olive oil, stirring until the potatoes start to brown.
- Add garlic, onion, and rosemary and add a ladel of chicken broth and stir.
- Over medium-high heat continue to stir and add ladels of chicken broth as the potatoes absorb the liquid -- very much like risotto, a little at a time.
- The potatoes will reach an al dente state, keep testing because you don't want mashed potatoes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream, stirring until all mixed well and looks real creamy.
- Taste and reseason with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Then drop in the cheese and mix.
- Pop into the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is all melty and bubbling.
- Accent with either minced parsley or chives and serve.