These cute little devils are absolutely worth the work involved in making them! These will be the cookies that you share that people will comment on. Even better, they are delicious as well! My daughters always help me with these (or I refuse to make them) because of all of the rolling of balls that must be done. Note* when pressing the balls together you may want to brush on a bit of corn syrup to use as "glue" to help hold Santa's arms and legs on. This is a recipe that I got out of a cookie magazine years ago, can't even remember which magazine.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in milk and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can. Stir in remaining flour. Remove 1 cup of dough. Stir in red paste food coloring into remaining dough to make desired "santa" red color.
- Shape each Santa by making one 3/4 inch ball and four 1/4 inch balls from the plain dough. From red dough shape onbe 1 inch ball and 5 1/2 inch balls. Flatten the 1 inch red ball on an ungreased cookie sheet until 1/2 inch thick. Attach four 1/4 red balls for arms and legs. Shape remaining 1/2 inch red ball into hat shape. Place plain 1/4 inch balls at the ends of arms and legs for hands and feet. Add chocolate pieces for eyes and buttons on torso.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool completely.
- Spoon Snow Frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe mustache, beard, and a hat band. For nose, attach a cinnamon candy with a small dab of frosting. Allow frosting to dry.
- To store: Place in layers separated by wax paper in an air tight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze undecorated up to 3 months. Thaw cookies and then decorate.
These were fun...my kids had a great time making them. Submitted a picture...not sure if they look like they are supposed to - but we thought they were cute! Thanks for the fun recipe!!!