Recipe by ladypit
I wanted tortillas to go with tonight's dinner but was out of them. So I went searching for a recipe that did not contain any fat. I found this one, and tweaked it a bit, in one of my favorite cookbooks "500 Fat Free Recipes." My husband could not get enough of them. We dipped them into soup and made bean burritos out of them.
Top Review by SweetsLady
Great recipe! I added in 1 t salt and 1 t baking powder for a little more taste and lightness and used regular whole wheat flour. I am using these with some Recipe #222519 to make Cheese Enchiladas tonight for our Olympic Around the World week menu. Thanks, ladypit!
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the flour and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well.
- If it needs more water to get to a dough stage, then add.
- On a floured surface knead the dough until it is soft.
- Make it into balls (12-16 depending on size).
- Then flour a board well.
- Take each ball and roll it as flat as you can.
- Meanwhile heat a pan until it is quite hot.
- Place the rolled out tortilla in the pan and cook for about 45 seconds to 1 minute or until it is bubbling and starting to brown.
- Then turn it over and cook for another 45 seconds.
- Place a clean cotton dishtowel on a plate.
- As each tortilla comes out of the pan put it inside the towel and wrap them up.
- I got 16 tortillas but my pan is small.
- If you want bigger tortillas, make bigger balls of dough.