Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I wanted tortillas to go with tonight's dinner but was out of them. So I went searching for a recipe that did not contain any fat. I found this one, and tweaked it a bit, in one of my favorite cookbooks "500 Fat Free Recipes." My husband could not get enough of them. We dipped them into soup and made bean burritos out of them.
- In a large bowl combine the flour and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well.
- If it needs more water to get to a dough stage, then add.
- On a floured surface knead the dough until it is soft.
- Make it into balls (12-16 depending on size).
- Then flour a board well.
- Take each ball and roll it as flat as you can.
- Meanwhile heat a pan until it is quite hot.
- Place the rolled out tortilla in the pan and cook for about 45 seconds to 1 minute or until it is bubbling and starting to brown.
- Then turn it over and cook for another 45 seconds.
- Place a clean cotton dishtowel on a plate.
- As each tortilla comes out of the pan put it inside the towel and wrap them up.
- I got 16 tortillas but my pan is small.
- If you want bigger tortillas, make bigger balls of dough.