I wanted tortillas to go with tonight's dinner but was out of them. So I went searching for a recipe that did not contain any fat. I found this one, and tweaked it a bit, in one of my favorite cookbooks "500 Fat Free Recipes." My husband could not get enough of them. We dipped them into soup and made bean burritos out of them.
My Private Note
- 1In a large bowl combine the flour and 1 cup of water.
- 2Mix well.
- 3If it needs more water to get to a dough stage, then add.
- 4On a floured surface knead the dough until it is soft.
- 5Make it into balls (12-16 depending on size).
- 6Then flour a board well.
- 7Take each ball and roll it as flat as you can.
- 8Meanwhile heat a pan until it is quite hot.
- 9Place the rolled out tortilla in the pan and cook for about 45 seconds to 1 minute or until it is bubbling and starting to brown.
- 10Then turn it over and cook for another 45 seconds.
- 11Place a clean cotton dishtowel on a plate.
- 12As each tortilla comes out of the pan put it inside the towel and wrap them up.
- 13I got 16 tortillas but my pan is small.
- 14If you want bigger tortillas, make bigger balls of dough.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fat Free Whole Wheat Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.7
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.1 g