Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Saving for safe keeping. From MSN recipes.
- 2 cups watermelon (seeded & cubed)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- Place watermelon cubes in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until smooth. (There should be 3 cups of the mixture.) Stir in sugar.
- In a small saucepan combine gelatin and cranberry juice cocktail. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir the gelatin mixture into the melon mixture. Pour into an 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- Break up frozen mixture and place in a chilled mixer bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed or until mixture is fluffy.
- Return to pan. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Makes 8 (1/2-cup) servings.
- Make ahead directions: Pack in airtight freezer container; seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month.
Tastes great, but it turned into a rock in my freezer...had to microwave it just to be able to scoop it. Might work better in an ice cream maker where you can mix in air as it freezes.
This sherbet is incredible!! I had a watermelon that was not the best, so I decide to add a tad more sugar to this recipe and I also prepared it in my ice cream maker. It makes not quite a quart. I had to use almost 3 cups of cubed watermelon to reach the 3 cups required in step #1. This sherbet tastes so good, it may become my #1 way to eat watermelon from now on! I am so glad to have discovered Watermelon Sherbet! Thank you so much for sharing this, MsSally!