Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A versatile sauce....ideal for For Pasta,grilled Chicken, Sausages and meatballs.
- 1 (800 g) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt (for seasoning)
- Place the tomatos, veggies and herbs into a pan.
- Cover and cook over a low heat to allow all the veggies to release their juices and simmer slowly together until pulpy (about 30-45 minutes).
- Allow to cool then whizz in a food processor.
- Put sauce into a pan and boil rapidly over a medium heat until sauce is thickened a little, or to your liking.
- Take care not to let sauce burn.
- Adjust seasoning.
- This sauce freezes well.
I just started a no fat diet, plant based diet so I wanted to try it because there was no oil. This was a delicious recipe. It had such a fresh taste from the fresh parsley and basil. The only difference is I didn't add any sugar to it, and I added a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. I also pureed it in my blender. Thanks for posting.