Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A much tastier alternative to cabbage soup, a Thai flavoured vegetarian soup to keep those winter chills away.
- 1 liter water
- 1 large green chili, slit (add more if desired)
- 2 large tomatoes, grated (ripe)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 cup Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini (julienned)
- 1 pepper (any colour,roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (dark)
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass (the chopped and bottled variety)
- 2 tablespoons coriander (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 fresh lime leaves (optional)
- Bring water to boil.
- Add salt, carrots, zucchini, cabbage, ginger, lemongrass and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, roast cumin and coriander seeds on a griddle till aromatic and then coarsely crush. Add this and remaining ingredients to soup and simmer for further five minutes.
- Serve with noodles or Thai jasmine rice.