Recipe by Jen O.
This is the same type of blueberry muffin that I have posted already, only I substituted the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour. They are hearty, healthy, maybe a little heavy, but very tasty! Enjoy! ** I know some of the amounts may look difficult, but that's what RecipeZaar adjusted them to when I put in the number of servings.
- 1 cup unsweetened blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (less 2 tablespoons, see step 4 below)
- 2 7⁄8 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄8 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄4 cup pasteurized pasteurized liquid egg-whites (equals 1 whole egg)
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 5⁄8 cup nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄8 tablespoons Splenda granular (to sprinkle on top of muffins)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray muffin pan with non-stick spray or use muffin holders.
- Wash and drain blueberries. Set aside. If using frozen blueberries, thaw before using.
- In large bowl, sift flour. VERY IMPORTANT: REMOVE 2 TABLESPOONS OF THE FLOUR BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE! After removing the 2 tablespoons of flour, add in the baking powder and the 3/8 cup Splenda. Mix together.
- In another bowl, mix the liquid egg white, applesauce and milk.
- Combine the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just enough to blend (electric mixers are not necessary). Gently fold in blueberries.
- Using a spoon, fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Use the last 1 1/8 tablespoon of Splenda to sprinkle on top of each muffin and bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are light brown.
- After baking, allow muffins to cool before removing them from the pan. Please note: 1 serving = 1 muffin. Enjoy! For those on Weight Watchers, each muffin = 1 point!