Adapted from a recipe by ChefClaude at allrecipes.com.
Make and share this Fat-Free No-Refry Refried Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried pinto beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1⁄2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low 12 hours or high 8 hours. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove and discard bay leaf. Drain beans, reserving broth. Mash beans by hand with a potato masher, adding broth as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Discard unused broth, or use in other recipes.