1 hr 20 mins
dcwang wang's Note:
I got a recipe for cabbage rolls on a Japanese website, but because I didn't have all ingredients on hand, I modified it into my own version. In addition to these ingredients, I also added some wakame for color. The original recipe called for carrots and pea pods. I also used kampyo to tie the cabbage rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cabbage leaves (depending on the size of your cabbage leaf, you will have to use more or less)
- 100 g tofu
- 1 shiitake mushroom
- 1/2 egg
- 4 g salt
- 4 g potato starch or 4 g cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sake
- 600 ml stock
- 4 g cornstarch or 4 g potato starch
- 1Soak shiitake mushroom in warm water to softened.
- 2Wash cabbage leaves.
- 3Microwave wet cabbage leaves in microwave until wilted.
- 4Alternatively boil cabbage leaves until wilted.
- 5Remove veins of cabbage.
- 6If using soft, silken tofu, freeze for 72 hours or use firm tofu.
- 7Press the tofu between layers to drain excess water.
- 8Mash the tofu with a wooden spoon or mash in a food processor/blender.
- 9Add the egg, salt, soy sauce, and potato starch/cornstarch.
- 10Mix until well blended.
- 11Mince the mushroom and add to the tofu mixture.
- 12Mix until well blended.
- 13Place equal amount of filling in each cabbage leaf. Make more filling if needed, depending on size of your cabbage leaf.
- 14Roll tightly secure seams with toothpicks. Make sure to fold in the edges.
- 15Tie with kampyo if available.
- 16Mix together 1 tsp soy sauce, 4g potato starch, stock, and sake .
- 17Cook cabbage rolls in stock over low heat for about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Japanese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Japanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fat-Free, No Oil Cabbage Rolls (Japanese Style)
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.2
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 706.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: