1 hr 5 mins
Unlike some malt loafs, this doesn't use yeast to rise. This is a type of cake-like bread eaten in slices with tea. I like it with butter, but some people don't.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180 C or 350°F
- 2Line the base of a 1lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper, cut to fit.
- 3Sieve flour and ground ginger into a bowl.
- 4Stir through bicarbonate of soda and sultanas, then bind ingredients with golden syrup and water - enough to make a fairly soft consistency.
- 5Turn the mixture into the tin and level off.
- 6Bake the loaf for about 55 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch.
- 7Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn on to a wire tray to cool completely.
- 8Serve sliced with tea.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fat Free Malt Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1191.2
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1312.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 267.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 26.3 g