Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
These come out more "cakelike" than a traditional scone.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 lemon, zest of (use 2 if you use plain yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (I find this is the minimum you can use and still keep the right taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 egg, equivalent
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain fat-free yogurt (plain is OK, but lemon is better) or 1 (8 ounce) container fat-free lemon yogurt (plain is OK, but lemon is better)
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Try to use as few strokes as possible. Divide dough in half.
- Pat out each half onto a sprayed cookie.
- sheet to a 7" circle.
- Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Bake at 425F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
I loved the poppy seeds in these scones!I was glad to find a fat free recipe for scones however, My dough was on the dry side. I added a tablespoon of more yogurt to help and I found it difficult to incorporate all of the flour without overmixing it. As a result my scones were on the dry side as well. I thought I would need to brush the tops with egg white or milk but they browned just fine without it.