1/4 Photos of Fat Free French Bread (Gluten Free)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Emily Elizabeth's Note:
This authentic tasting French Bread has a thick crusty outside and a soft inside. It is great for sandwiches, garlic bread and dipping in pasta sauces or olive oil. My husband loves this bread even better than regular French Bread. I got this recipe from Bette Hagman's book, "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy." It has only lasted up to 4 days in my house so far, due to being eaten, but I keep it in the fridge and it stays crusty and delicious! SUPPLIES: You will need non-stick cooking spray, plastic wrap, a rubber spatula and either a French bread pan or aluminum foil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (2 parts rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (same as mix above)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons quick-rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or 1 teaspoon dough enhancer
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 1Place 2 egg whites in a bowl and leave out so they will come up to room temperature.
- 2Spray non-stick cooking spray on a French bread pan (or curve a doubled piece of aluminum foil into the shape of a loaf as long as a cookie sheet). Also spray a sheet of plastic wrap that is the length of your pan and set aside.
- 3Warm 1.5 cups of water by placing it in the microwave on high for a minute.
- 4In an electric mixer bowl, whisk together flours, xanthan gum, sugar, salt and yeast.
- 5Add the vinegar, egg whites and water and beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- 6Use a strong rubber spatula to transfer dough into prepared pan, smoothing the top. Dough will be very thick and sticky. Place the plastic wrap, sprayed-side down, loosely over the dough. Let rise in a warm and moist place for 15 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 8Bake for 1 hour. Turn oven down to 350 and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- 9Enjoy it hot and crusty out of the oven by tearing off pieces, or let cool and cut into slices.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fat Free French Bread (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 27.5
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 489.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: