Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my own variation of a great healthy recipe published by Dr. Dean Ornish. I love this with bean soups. The 7x9 pan fits perfectly in the toaster oven. A jar of applesauce goes bad quickly in my home, so I started buying the 6 packed individuals.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole grain yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a 7 x 9 nonstick pan lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir flour, cornmeal and baking powder together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce and egg whites.
- Preheat the pan 1 minute, not to burn the spray.
- Lightly stir all ingredients to a lumpy blend in the large bowl and pour into preheated pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
I'm not sure if I'm just not accustomed to cornbread, or if I just expected something sweeter... but we all found this to be rather bland. It wasn't BAD, exactly, it just didn't taste like much at all. It would make a great vehicle for a spicy accompaniment, though. I did use whole wheat flour and replace part of the cornmeal with corn kernels, and I used soymilk. I thought the 7x9 pan was too large, though less so after it baked because it rose some. The recipe did make eight VERY generous portions! Thanks for posting.
Very good cornbread!! I made this to go with our St Pat's dinner and it complimented it perfectly! Very easy to put together. I didn't have a 7x9 pan and I forgot to preheat the pan but all worked out fine. I used an 8x8. Thanks for the keeper!! :)