Recipe by Goodheart
This is my own variation of a great healthy recipe published by Dr. Dean Ornish. I love this with bean soups. The 7x9 pan fits perfectly in the toaster oven. A jar of applesauce goes bad quickly in my home, so I started buying the 6 packed individuals.
Top Review by brokenburner
I'm not sure if I'm just not accustomed to cornbread, or if I just expected something sweeter... but we all found this to be rather bland. It wasn't BAD, exactly, it just didn't taste like much at all. It would make a great vehicle for a spicy accompaniment, though. I did use whole wheat flour and replace part of the cornmeal with corn kernels, and I used soymilk. I thought the 7x9 pan was too large, though less so after it baked because it rose some. The recipe did make eight VERY generous portions! Thanks for posting.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole grain yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a 7 x 9 nonstick pan lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir flour, cornmeal and baking powder together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce and egg whites.
- Preheat the pan 1 minute, not to burn the spray.
- Lightly stir all ingredients to a lumpy blend in the large bowl and pour into preheated pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned.