Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These muffins have no fat but you would never know it, they are extremely moist with lots of flavor --- I have not tryed it as yet but I'm quite sure that Splenda may be used in place of sugar --- you may bake in 6 jumbo muffin tins but baking time will need to be increased.
Top Review by kittycatmom
Absolutely delicious muffins Kitt! I used Splenda brown sugar and whole eggs, also added 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed. Terrific! I know I will be using this recipe often! Thanks for another winner!!!
- 1 cup wheat bran (miller's wheat bran)
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or use half white and whole wheat)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar (can use more sugar if desired) or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (can use more sugar if desired)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Line 12 regular size muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the buttermilk with wheat bran; allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg whites with molasses, applesauce, mashed banana and vanilla; mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour with sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- After the 10 minutes of sitting time add the egg mixture to the bran/buttermilk mixture; mix very well to combine, then add to the flour mixture; mix until just combined.
- Mix in raisins (if using).
- Divide into the muffin tins filling just over threee-quarters full.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until muffins test done.