Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
No fat, no cholesterol, 2 points per serving and you have everything in the house to make them! These brownies have become a staple for us, very fudgy, adapted from Secrets of Fat-Free Baking, Woodruff, an excellent book you should buy if this sort of thing interests you!
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, stir to mix.
- Stir in the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites.
- Fold in the nuts if desired.
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray, spread the batter evenly in the pan, and bake in a preheated 325 oven for 23-25 minutes, or until the edges are firm and the center almost set.
- Cool to room temp, cut into squares and eat.
I thought about not giving a review on these brownies at all, they were the worst brownies we have ever tried. the texture was rubbery,the taste awful. I made them just as the recipe states,but left out the walnuts. the cook time says 35 minutes,it was more like 15 minutes. we wach tried one then threw them away.
This was exceptional....It really does need baking powder and i added a mashed banana...thank you for the reviews
The first time I've made them, and they taste delicious! I used all the suggestions from Steph82. But I think the batter fell, beause they still felt ever so slightly rubbery. Next time I wil put 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to make it fluffier, and I will substitute the 1/2 cup of water with skim milk to add further richness. Excellent substitutions, Steph82!