Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Taken from The Ultimate Brownie Book by Bruce Weinstein
- nonstick cooking spray, for the pan
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup prune, reconstituted and pureed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, beaten till frothy
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- Preheat Oven to 350°F; oil a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, stir sugar, lekvar, and vanilla. Stir in egg whites until JUST incorporated. Then stir in dry ingredients in three equal parts, alternating with the milk, as follows: flour, milk, flour, milk, flour. Mix JUST until batter is smooth, pour into pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Set to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
These brownies were nice but definitely more of a cake than brownies. I followed the recipe exactly and it was very easy to make. I like that these are fat free.