Recipe by Cathleen Colbert
from Sata Katsch.
Top Review by ELBSeattle
This is quite a good recipe. A few changes I made (and would recommend) 1) I used fat free evaporated milk instead of skim milk. It lends a richer taste to a dish like this. I also used about 1.5 cups, rather than the 2 cups mentioned in this recipe. That was plenty of liquid for the bread pudding. 2) I used a full teaspoon of cinnamon and added a teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg as well. 3) I added 2 tablespoons of butter. Don't gasp - 2 tablespoons of butter spread over 10 servings is still very low fat. Just 2 T of butter adds a lot of flavor to this.
- 4 cups bread, cubes
- 2 cups skim milk, hot
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (try SugarTwin Brown)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 apples, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites (Just Whites or Egg Beaters)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 1-1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine bread, raisins and apples in a large bowl.
- Add milk and sugar; mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Let stand for 20 to 30 minute.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon to egg whites, mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over bread in baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour until set and lightly browned.