Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My Dad's favorite bread for toast! I have been making this bread since 1970! This bread is super fast to put together and I let the bread machine do the work and bake it in a 1 quart casserole in the conventional oven. Good for toast, soups, stews and the occasional cheese sandwich. Prep time does not include rising time, just how long it takes to throw the ingredients into the A B M pan.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 3⁄4 cups bread flour (I have used AP and it works well)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast)
- Put all ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Set to dough cycle for oven baking or white cycle for bread machine baking.
- FOR BREAD MACHINE BAKING: after final rise spray the top of the loaf with water and sprinkle cornmeal on top.
- FOR OVEN BAKING: Preheat oven to 400*. Grease a one quart bowl with solid shortening or cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
This is great! I did forget the cornmeal but it didn't matter. Thanks for sharing, this is a keeper!
Excellent! Wonderful toasted with an excellent texture. Pretty easy to make -- although I did have to keep an eye on it as it was being kneaded by the machine and add a bit more flour to make it come together. It could maybe use a bit more salt as it was pretty blah when not toasted.
I've made this recipe several times! Makes great toast. My husband has had triple bypass open heart surgery so we're always looking for ways to cut fat. LOVE that this is so low fat - in fact, it's his new favorite crust when we make homemade pizza! Thanks for sharing this recipe. It's quick to toss in the bread machine, and has so few ingredients!