Recipe by Secret Agent
My Dad's favorite bread for toast! I have been making this bread since 1970! This bread is super fast to put together and I let the bread machine do the work and bake it in a 1 quart casserole in the conventional oven. Good for toast, soups, stews and the occasional cheese sandwich. Prep time does not include rising time, just how long it takes to throw the ingredients into the A B M pan.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 3⁄4 cups bread flour (I have used AP and it works well)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Set to dough cycle for oven baking or white cycle for bread machine baking.
- FOR BREAD MACHINE BAKING: after final rise spray the top of the loaf with water and sprinkle cornmeal on top.
- FOR OVEN BAKING: Preheat oven to 400*. Grease a one quart bowl with solid shortening or cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.