Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious fat free banana muffin, from Good Housekeeping. Delicious and fat free - sounds too good to be true, but it is!
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 mashed bananas
- In a small bowl mix all dry ingredients together.
- In a larger bowl mix all wet ingredients together.
- Add dry ingrediants to wet ingredients.
- Mix just until combined; do not overmix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean) in a 350 degree oven.
The liquid in this recipe is not enough to mix the batter. I added 1/4 cup soy milk to bring ingredients together. These muffins were about what you'd expect for no fat. They tasted okay but the crumb texture, as with other fat free muffins I've tried, was very slightly rubbery. I agree with the previous post that 1/2 cup sugar was too much so I cut the sugar by half and it was sweet enough.
These were pretty good. I accidentally bought Raisin Bran instead of Grape Nuts (I picked out the raisins, at least), so I didn't have any crunch, and I thought the muffins were perhaps a bit too sweet...I'll cut down on the sugar next time. Otherwise though, all went well. I got 9 flavorful muffins that were done in 18 minutes.