Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I don't remember where I got the original version of this recipe, but I modified it to make it fat free. It is very moist and tasty and my kids love it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-bran cereal (not bran flakes)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar
- Beat together banana, egg substitute, applesauce, bran cereal, and vanilla.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, sitrring only until moistened.
- Spoon batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 340 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Renmove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.
We made these into mini muffins rather than a loaf. They were okay but nothing we'd make again. My 2 boys enjoyed eating them but I found them to be a bit too dry and not especially tasty.
This was pretty good, especially for a lowfat baked good. However, I thought it a bit bland, and that's even in comparison with other fatfree breads (I'm a connisseur, lol). However, I would make it again. Next time, I might try adding chocolate chips or more bananas for enhanced flavor. Thanks so much!