This recipe uses applesauce and Splenda to cut down on the amount of fat and calories. While it may not be completely 'fat free', it is definitely a healthier version. 1 cup of walnuts can also be added to this recipe and sugar can be used in place of the Splenda (vice-versa). The recipe is posted in metric, for some reason when it is converted by the system to US measurements, it does not convert over correctly. Please keep the metric values when making.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 7⁄8 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄16 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄16 cup Splenda sugar substitute (sugar can also be used)
- 1⁄16 cup baking soda (2 teaspoon)
- 1⁄16 cup salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1⁄16 cup cinnamon (2 teaspoon)
- 1⁄16 cup nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 1⁄8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄16 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 1⁄8 cup grated carrots
- 1 7⁄8 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Either grease a 13x9 inch pan or line the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, applesauce, buttermilk, Splenda and sugar, until blended.
- Add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour to mix.
- Once blended, add pineapple, carrots and coconut.
- Mix well.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Glaze or frost cake if desired.