This recipe uses applesauce and Splenda to cut down on the amount of fat and calories. While it may not be completely 'fat free', it is definitely a healthier version. 1 cup of walnuts can also be added to this recipe and sugar can be used in place of the Splenda (vice-versa). The recipe is posted in metric, for some reason when it is converted by the system to US measurements, it does not convert over correctly. Please keep the metric values when making.
- 3 eggs
- 90 ml applesauce
- 90 ml vegetable oil or 90 ml butter
- 180 ml buttermilk
- 250 ml sugar
- 250 ml Splenda sugar substitute (sugar can also be used)
- 10 ml baking soda (2 teaspoon)
- 2 ml salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 10 ml cinnamon (2 teaspoon)
- 2 ml nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon)
- 500 ml all-purpose flour
- 250 ml crushed pineapple
- 500 ml grated carrots
- 180 ml flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Either grease a 13x9 inch pan or line the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, applesauce, buttermilk, Splenda and sugar, until blended.
- Add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour to mix.
- Once blended, add pineapple, carrots and coconut.
- Mix well.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Glaze or frost cake if desired.