Egyptian version of Turkish Piyaz. Cooking and preparation time do not include soaking time overnight! Submitted for Visit Egypt / NAME forum May 2012.
- Soak beans overnight and cook without salt until soft, about 40-50 minutes (depends on which kind of bean you use).
- Drain cooked beans.
- Remove seeds from tomatoes, chop tomatoes.
- Thinly slice onion.
- Chop parsley.
- For the dressing, combine olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, cumin and cayenne.
- Combine cooled beans, tomatoes, onions, parsley and dressing.
- If it is too tart, add a little more olive oil.
I soaked cannelini beans in salted water overnight (CI method) and cooked them this morning, and poured the dressing over the warm beans. I did chop the onions rather than slice them - also chopped the garlic and added it to the salad dressing ingredients. Now about those 6 servings - I put half of it in a container for lunch, and ate the rest for breakfast. I think it would be 6 very modest servings.... I did need a little more olive oil to balance the flavors. This is a very nice bean salad - the cumin adds a hint of taste but does not overpower, so that this would be a lovely accompaniment to many dishes.
I made this for a summer dinner and let it chill all day to get the best of the flavors blending together. I really love it, it's hearty without being too heavy and being cold it's also refreshing. The lemon is a high note that really brightens the salad. Thanks so much Mia for sharing this international yet so familiar dish. :D