Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
German Style pre-lenten Holiday Doughnut.Fastnacht Day is a special Holiday tradition that falls on Shrove Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday).
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Add the first measure of flour to the yeast.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add the milk.
- Stir in the first measure of sugar and half of the second measure of flour.
- Set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled.
- Stir in the salt, eggs, butter, the second measure of sugar, the nutmeg and sufficient additional flour to make a firm dough.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down.
- Roll out on a floured board.
- Cut into squares.
- Set on a floured board.
- Let rise.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to 360°.
- Deep fry the Fastnachts until light and golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Roll in granulated sugar while still warm.
If memory serves me correctly (which is a BIG IF!!!) my relatives made Fastnacht Kuchen with potatoes........any agreement, or disagreement?? I haven't rated the recipe, as I have not yet tried it......I'll keep you posted!! P.S. Fastnachts MUST be eaten on FAT TUESDAY!!!!
STEVE This a favorite my MOTHER made these every year