12 hrs 20 mins
Spicily sweet, this coffee cake comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large potatoes, pared
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 fresh yeast cake, softened in 1/2 cup warm water
- 6 cups flour (amount is approximate)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1Boil potatoes in enough water to cover.
- 2Drain, saving potato water.
- 3Msh potatoes and beat well.
- 4Measure potato water and add enough more to make 1 1/2 pints.
- 5Combine with remaining ingredients, including potatoes, using enough flour to make a rather stiff batter.
- 6Cover and let rise in a warm place until morning.
- 7Knead, adding as much flour as is necessary to make a stiff dough.
- 8Let rise again until doubled.
- 9Spread on well-greased pans and let rise again until light (about 1 1/4 hours).
- 10Brush melted butter on top.
- 11Mix all the streusel ingredients together until very crumby.
- 12Sprinkle cakes with streusel.
- 13Bake at 400F until golden (about 20 minutes).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fastnacht Kartoffel Kuchen - Potato Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2306.4
- Calories from Fat 781
- Total Fat 86.8 g
- Saturated Fat 37.3 g
- Cholesterol 252.8 mg
- Sodium 1198.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 345.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 103.3 g
- Protein 38.4 g