Prep 12 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Spicily sweet, this coffee cake comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 large potatoes, pared
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 fresh yeast cake, softened in 1/2 cup warm water
- 6 cups flour (amount is approximate)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup flour, sifted
- 3 tablespoons nuts, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 -3 drops vanilla
- Boil potatoes in enough water to cover.
- Drain, saving potato water.
- Msh potatoes and beat well.
- Measure potato water and add enough more to make 1 1/2 pints.
- Combine with remaining ingredients, including potatoes, using enough flour to make a rather stiff batter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until morning.
- Knead, adding as much flour as is necessary to make a stiff dough.
- Let rise again until doubled.
- Spread on well-greased pans and let rise again until light (about 1 1/4 hours).
- Brush melted butter on top.
- Mix all the streusel ingredients together until very crumby.
- Sprinkle cakes with streusel.
- Bake at 400F until golden (about 20 minutes).