1/7 Photos of Fastenwähe (Carnival Caraway-Seed Pretzel of Basel)
2 hrs 30 mins
The Fastenwähe or Fastenwaje is a carnival caraway-seed pretzel. We get to enjoy it in the region of Basel only around this time of year. The Fastenwähe made it's very first appearance way back in the year 1554 in the Swiss Rheinfelden 20 km away from Basel (Switzerland). More about history (in german): http://www.foodnews.ch/x-plainmefood/30_produkte/Fastenwaehe.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 ml milk (lukewarm)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 100 g butter (melted, lukewarm)
- 500 g white flour
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Mix in a bowl milk, butter, sugar and half of the flour.
- 2Add yeast, mix well again and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the rest of the flour, the salt and form a soft dough.
- 4Make 12 portions and form with each a 15 cm long oval roll.
- 5Flat the rolls and make 4 5cm long opposite cuts (as shown in the photo).
- 6Toss with your hands and place on your trays (I use 2 of them).
- 7Swirl yolk and water together and brush on the breads.
- 8Top with caraway seed.
- 9Keep for about 2 hours in the cold oven or until they double their volume (keeping a bowl with warm water in the oven helps the breads to rise better).
- 10Take out of the oven and preheat the oven at 200°C (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- 11Place a fireproof bowl with hot water in the oven and bake the breads of the first tray for 15-20 minutes until golden. Repeat with the other tray.
- 12Let cool on a grade end enjoy them.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fastenwähe (Carnival Caraway-Seed Pretzel of Basel)
Serving Size: 1 (919 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.7
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.4 mg
- Sodium 265.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g